How to Get Involved
Getting involved in the world of 3D medical imaging offers an exciting opportunity to merge cutting-edge technology with the healthcare industry. Professionals in this field play a pivotal role in creating detailed measurements and three-dimensional reconstructions from medical images, making a significant impact on diagnosis, treatment planning, and medical research. If you aspire to break into the field of medical 3D imaging, there are key steps you can take to get involved. By focusing on education, skill development, and practical experience, you can pave the way towards a rewarding career in this dynamic and rapidly growing field. The information below provides some examples of places to either begin or further your career in medical imaging.
On-the-job training in medical 3D imaging involves learning while working in a professional medical imaging environment. You acquire skills and knowledge through practical experience and guidance from experienced professionals.
Official training programs in medical 3D imaging are excellent opportunities to enhance your knowledge and skills in a structured educational setting. These programs are offered by educational institutions, online platforms, or specialized medical imaging organizations. Some USA states require a Radiology License to practice as a radiology technologist to ensure individuals have met the necessary educational and competency requirements.
Professional Certification Courses:
Conferences about medical imaging bring together professionals in the field to share knowledge, discuss the latest advancements, and showcase their work. Attending these conferences allows you to learn from experts and network with industry peers. Examples include:
Vendor training programs in medical 3D imaging offer immersive learning experiences in collaboration with medical imaging institutions and industry leaders. These programs provide mentorship, valuable resources, and hands-on training to equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary for success.
Free Software & Training
• 3D Slicer: 3D Slicer is an open-source software platform widely used for medical image visualization, segmentation, and 3D reconstruction.
• Horos: Horos is an open-source medical image viewer based on the popular OsiriX platform.
• ITK-SNAP: ITK-SNAP is a free software tool specifically designed for image segmentation.
• OsiriX Lite: OsiriX Lite is a free medical imaging software available for macOS.
• Radiopaedia.org: Radiopaedia.org is an online collaborative radiology resource that offers a vast collection of medical imaging cases and educational materials. It provides a platform for users to learn and practice 3D imaging techniques by accessing a wide range of case studies, tutorials, and interactive quizzes.
• Tera Recon Resources: A resource center containing a variety of white papers, case studies, and community webinar recordings covering a wide range of healthcare topics.
• YouTube tutorials and online courses: Many individuals and organizations share free tutorials and educational content related to medical 3D imaging on platforms like YouTube, Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy.